Foreclosure Prevention

Trouble paying your mortgage? We're here to help you.

If you are having difficulty making payments on your mortgage, our Member Service Advocates are here to help you with a wealth of resources and information. Please call us anytime and we will be happy to help you look for a solution based on your unique situation, including a possible modification of your loan. You can reach us toll free at 1.929-251-1431, Option 6, or directly at 206.398.5757.

We also have financial counselors available through BALANCE, our financial fitness program. They have helped hundreds of members just like you. You can call them at 888.456.2227, or visit

Helpful Numbers You Can Call

Here are some additional numbers for help with home financing issues:

Important Documents

Documents to have ready for review of a possible modification:

  • Hardship letter. This is a short letter giving a detailed description of the situation you are in and the reasons why you are having difficulty making your mortgage payments.
  • A copy of your federal income tax returns for the most recent tax year, two years for self employed income.
  • Most recent copy of your W-2 form.
  • Copy of your bank statements for the past three months.
  • Copy of your pay stubs showing your income from your job for the past two months.
  • Valid copies of documents that support your hardship claims, such as a pink slip from your work, divorce papers, hospital bills, death certificate, etc.
  • Your current financial statement financial worksheet that specifies your monthly income and expenses. It also shows how much you are coming up short each month with the current house payment.
  • Profit and Loss, if self employed.
  • Unemployment Benefit Statement, if loss of job.